Is it time for a new roof? Are you considering metal roofing in Mount Pleasant, TX? When it comes to roofing, consumers have many options. It can be difficult to sift through all the variables to decide which roofing material is best for your setting. To help you with this decision, here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of metal roofing.
Pros of metal roofs
- They last: Asphalt roofs typically last 12 to 20 years. A metal roof, however, can last 40 to 70 years. If you want to avoid replacing your roof again in your lifetime, consider a metal roof.
- They are low maintenance: Other roofing materials require costly maintenance. Metal roofs, on the other hand, can stand up under high winds and weather storms with ease. They will not crack or corrode, and some are impact-resistant.
- They are safe: You’ve heard of homes being destroyed by wildfires or lightning. Metal roofs offer protection against these disasters, since they won’t spark into flames.
- They are green: Metal roofs contain between 25 and 95 percent recycled content. And at the end of their life, they are 100 percent recyclable.
- They save money: The material of a metal roof reflects solar radiant heat instead of absorbing it. This effect can reduce your cooling costs by 10 to 25 percent.
Cons of metal roofs
- They are noisy: Heavy rain and hailstorms are noisier under a metal roof than other roofing options. If you are a light sleeper, you may not want to choose this option for your roofing material.
- They loosen: Metal roofing expands and contracts as it heats and cools in the seasonal weather. If not installed properly to allow them to breathe, large panels may loosen over time.
- They are pricy: Metal roofing in Mount Pleasant, TX can cost two to three times as much as other roofing options. Keep in mind, though, that they also last two to three times as long. However, homeowners must consider if they will be staying in their current residence long enough to reap the benefits of the investment.
- They don’t match: In the future, if your roof needs a repair or expansion, it may be difficult to match the existing metal color exactly. You might have to live with a patched look or varying shades across different sections of your roofline.
- They rust: Without proper installation or repair, water can accumulate on a metal roof, which can cause serious damage. Additionally, over time, some climates can cause rust to form on the roof. Lastly, hailstorms may also dent a metal roof.
Are you still unsure if metal roofing in Mount Pleasant, TX is right for you? If you need additional information or are ready to start your roofing project, contact our experts. At Castletop Roofing and Construction, we offer expertise in a full range of roofing options. We will partner with you to discover the best solution for your setting. Reach our experienced staff with questions or to schedule an estimate!
Categorised in: Metal Roofing