Storm season is upon us. Texans have experienced several storms already. Damage from strong winds and rains may mean you need soffit repairs in Titus County, TX. How can you tell if your property needs repairs? Use the following guide to determine if it’s time to call the pros to keep your property looking sharp.
What are soffits?
You can’t know if your soffits need repairs if you don’t know what they are. These exterior features are the surfaces under the eaves of your home. The fascia are horizontal boards on the lower edge of your roof. Soffits and fascia are often thought of as decorative features, but they serve important structural functions as well. Soffits allow ventilation for the attic. They also protect your home from the elements, as well as from invading pests. Fascia, meanwhile, provide structural support for your gutters to help protect your home from moisture.
What is the typical lifespan for soffits?
The answer to this question depends largely on the maintenance of the soffits and the material of which they are made. Soffits should be inspected each year. Signs of warping, worn caulking and pests should be corrected right away. Any signs of mildew should be removed. When properly maintained, aluminum and vinyl soffits typically last about 20 years. Wood soffits generally have a shorter lifespan. They also require additional maintenance. Wood soffits should be stained or painted every few years.
What are signs I need soffit repairs in Titus County, TX?
As you inspect your soffits each year, look for the following signs that you need soffit repairs in Titus County, TX:
- Droopy gutters: Are your gutters holding steady at the proper height, or are they starting to sag?
- Leaky gutters: Gutters should consistently carry the water to the desired drainage point, rather than leak along the way.
- Ice damming: This happens when a ridge of ice forms at the edge of your roof. It prevents drainage when the snow melts, causing the water to back up behind the ridge and leak into your home.
- Attic frost: Is your attic starting to look like Antarctica? It’s okay if your attic is cooler than the rest of the house, but frost shouldn’t be present.
- Pest invasion: Soffits are designed to keep pests out, so if they’ve invaded, you need soffit repairs in Titus County, TX.
- Deteriorated wood: If the general condition of the wood is poor, it’s time to call for repairs.
- Interior water damage: If water has made its way into your home, there is likely a problem with your soffits.
Get a FREE Inspection
How is your property faring in the storms this season? Have you called for your FREE roof inspection and estimate? Don’t wait to discover problems after they have worsened and require more extensive repairs. Contact the soffit experts at Castletop Roofing and Construction today to schedule your FREE consultation. We’ll apply in-depth expertise to evaluate your roof and determine if you need soffit repairs in Titus County, TX. Reach out to us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Soffit Repairs