A roof replacement is a big expense for many homeowners. What makes it an especially frustrating situation is knowing that much of the damage that led to this could likely have been prevented with regular attention. With that in mind, let’s take a look at five maintenance tips that can help increase the life of your roof and hopefully help you avoid costly roof or gutter repairs in Mount Pleasant, TX:
- Repair any damage quickly: Homeowners know the importance of keeping up on home maintenance—for example, taking care of roof leaks and other damage promptly upon discovery. Sure, the cost of most roof repairs can be pricy, not to mention the time disruption required to do the work. But a roof replacement is a much more expensive endeavor. Don’t put off making repairs, and definitely don’t forget about them completely.
- Take care of mold and other growth: Some roofs are prone to mold, mildew, moss or algae growth. The stuff growing on top of your roof depends on a few factors, like the climate where you live and the amount of daily shade your roof gets. Unfortunately, any organic matter growing on your roof has the potential to break down roofing materials and cause problems over time. The best way to remove and prevent growth is to hire professional roofing contractors who know how to deal with the situation.
- Remove debris from roof and gutters: You must remove debris from the roof, as well as the rain gutters and downspouts attached to your home’s roof. This step is especially important during the rainy months. Tree debris like leaves and twigs can clog gutters or cause a backflow of water that can rot or get caught under shingles. Large broken branches are likely to damage shingles or other rooftop features. If you don’t clear rooftop and gutter clutter, expensive gutter repairs in Mount Pleasant, TX are possible—or worse, serious water damage to the roof.
- Check for signs of wildlife damage: Wild creatures such as rats, birds, squirrels, raccoons and insects are all looking for a safe place to reside year-round. Animal and insect activity can wreak havoc on the interior and exterior of your roof, so be sure to look for signs of pest damage when inspecting things up in the attic. Indicators that you have a problem include finding droppings, nests, chewed wood, burrows and holes in the roof.
- Inspect rooftop features: The fixtures on your roof should be inspected periodically. Any area where the roofing material is interrupted by an object—including a chimney, pipe, skylight, HVAC unit or raised vent—is susceptible to being compromised. You or a professional should inspect for signs of damage to the seals or metal flashing around these features. Also, look for leaks, water damage, mold or anything else coming into your house from under the roof (remember to check in the attic and crawlspaces).
Whether you are in need of a roof replacement or roof or gutter repairs in Mount Pleasant, TX, you can count on the skilled team at Castletop Roofing and Construction to be there for you. Call us today to schedule a consultation!
Categorised in: Gutter Repairs