When it comes to installing a new roof or making roof repairs, most contractors prefer to work in the warmer months. Even though working in hot weather isn’t all that fun, roofing materials are easier to work with when the temperatures are higher. That being said, there are times when our customers need repairs, or even new roof installation, in the dead of winter. This post will teach you everything you need to know about working on roofs in Mount Pleasant, TX during the colder months.
Why is cold weather roofing difficult?
It’s safe to say most folks prefer warmer months to the winter weather. This is especially true for roofers! The following points are a few reasons why we’re not huge fans of performing repairs or installation during the winter:
- Snow and ice: Like rain in the summer, roof work can’t be performed when it’s snowing or sleeting. Asphalt shingles won’t adhere to the roof in these conditions, and performing the job is just unsafe when the roof is slick. The worst part about snow and ice, though, is that it can take a while to melt, which means we might have to wait a few days (or even longer) before we can resume work.
- Temperatures: We don’t have to tell you that it can get pretty cold on winter days, especially when you’re working up on a roof. Wearing a heavy coat, gloves and a thick hat makes the job a bit more difficult, but it’s not impossible. Trust us—roofers have plenty of ways to keep warm, even on the coldest of days!
Steps to take in cold weather roofing
As we’ve learned above, roofing in cold weather can be a bit more difficult than during the spring, summer or even the fall. The good news is that we know how to combat those difficulties. Here are some of the things we do to ensure we can complete your roofing project when the temperatures start to drop:
- Material storage: Asphalt shingles are prone to breakage if it’s too cold out. For this reason, roofers have to prepare ahead of time and store their shingles and other materials in a warm environment until it’s time to get to work.
- Timing: In the summer, we can work on roofs in Mount Pleasant, TX from dawn to dusk. That’s not the case in the winter—when it’s cold out, we have to work on areas of your roof that are in direct sunlight, as that’s when the roof is warmest and the shingles are most likely to adhere to the roof.
- Techniques: We might have to use different techniques to complete the job during the winter. On cold and windy days, we may have to use a hand-tabbing method instead of using self-sealing strips to bond the shingles to the roof. It’s a bit more time consuming, but nothing we can’t tackle!
Whether you need your roof worked on in the winter, spring, summer or fall, you can count on the pros at Castletop Roofing and Construction to take on the job. We guarantee quality roof installation and repairs, regardless of the temperatures outside!
Categorised in: Roofs