As with all building components, eventually your rain gutters will wear out and need to be either repaired or replaced. Rain gutters are designed to keep water away from your home, which prevents roof damage, water intrusion, mold, mildew and rot—so it’s important that they’re not just clear of debris, but are doing their job of funneling the water away.
Here are the major signs that it’s time for repairing gutters in Mount Pleasant, TX before the rainy spring weather really sets in:
- Age: The easiest sign to spot is the age of your rain gutters—they have a normal lifespan of about 15 to 20 years. If you’re reaching the end of that road, it’s time to get them replaced, especially when you notice any of these other signs.
- Pooling water: After a good rain, check the downspouts to see if there’s pooled water nearby. When water pools around your home, it can leak into the foundation and cause issues there—and that’s in addition to the mold, mildew and rot that water can cause in the walls.
- Sagging or detached gutters: Gutters depend on being able to move water from the roof and walls efficiently, which means they need to be even and attached to the roof—otherwise the water won’t move properly, and can fall between the roof and gutters. Inspect your gutters every few months to make sure they’re even and straight, without gaps.
- Rust or cracks: Rust and cracks are precursors to leaks, so if you notice either sign, put “gutter replacement” on your to-do list for sooner rather than later.
- Exterior water damage: Walk around your home and look for signs of the paint or siding peeling, chipping or rotting as well as water stains. These are signs that the water is soaking into the exterior of your home instead of running off.
- Interior leaks: Roof leaks are obvious in the ceiling, but gutter leaks are indicated by water stains around where the exterior walls and ceiling meet. If you notice signs of leaks indoors or outdoors, don’t delay—mold and mildew could already be setting in.
- Clogs: Finally, if you seem to deal with clogged gutters on a frequent basis—and even gutter guards don’t seem to help the problem—the problem could be with your gutters, not with the number of storms you’ve seen recently.
Inspecting your gutters on a regular basis will help ensure that you catch any problems before they have time to do major damage.
Repairing gutters in Mount Pleasant, TX
In addition to our roofing installation and repair services, the team at Castletop Roofing and Construction is skilled at repairing and replacing gutters, as well as performing work on your soffit and fascia. Keeping your home dry is crucial to preventing leaks and other damage, so if you notice any of the above gutter damage signs, call us today. We’ll be happy to give you an estimate for repairing gutters in Mount Pleasant, TX and can assess the extent of the damage.
Categorised in: Gutter Repairs